Fans of flagship label, ‘Anjunabeats’, are buzzing about the latest installment of Above & Beyond’s (mostly) yearly mix compilation. Rightly so, Anjunabeats Volume 14 is an unrestricted odyssey through all the sounds and artists that exemplify the “anjuna” sound.
More than two years have passed since the previous compilation, a lapse that some dedicated “#anjunafam” have grumbled about for the past year. So it was a welcomed surprise for A&B fans to learn in April there would be an addition to the compilation series. Still, a one year hiatus is sensible when considering the label-heads continuous touring and release schedule. Between Volume 13 and 14, Above & Beyond have released a live album, a studio album, 18 singles, and performed two ABGT milestone shows all while continuing their regimen of globetrotting shows and festivals. With an extra year of anticipation, does Vol. 14 live up to the hype?
The short answer is yes. The long answer is that the amalgamation of this two CD mix is an indisputably exquisite and refreshing journey into Progressive Trance. Truly, this is a master craft of track selection and pacing. As much as half of the tracklisting has already been released throughout the year but presentation in this format breathes new life and context into even well known tracks. This is not a progressive trance compilation that will win back Trance purists but it is a true return to form for Anjunabeats yearly mixes.
The first CD ranges from Deep to House to Progressive and even includes a tinge of Tech Trance. CD 2 starts with a rework of a Tri-State classic, ‘Liquid Love feat. Richard Bedford’, and takes no time building up to a driving and provocative listening experience which includes a healthy dose of catalog remixes. Per usual, extended and DJ ready versions of the tracks will trickle out as EPs and singles in the coming weeks and months. The first of these “samplers” is out today and includes remixes from Anjunadeep staple ‘Tinlicker’ and Anjunabeats mainstay ‘Sunny Lax’. Notably for some, Sunny Lax’ remix is an inventive remix of the very first track of the entire label released in 2000.
No doubt, this milestone release will be a regular listen for me throughout the year. Cheers!
ANJUNABEATS VOLUME 14 TRACKLIST
- Matt Lange – Isn’t It Lovely
- Above & Beyond – Is It Love? (Matt Lange Remix)
- Andrew Bayer feat. Alison – May In My Last Life (Dave DK Remix)
- Nox Vahn & Marsh feat. Mimi Page – Follow Me
- PROFF & EKSF – For The Night
- Spencer Brown & Qrion – Foggy August
- Above & Beyond feat. Zoë Johnston – Always (Tinlicker Remix)
- Reflekt feat. Delline Bass – Need To Feel Loved (Tinlicker Remix)
- ALPHA 9 – Before The Dawn
- GRUM – Stay
- Kyau & Albert – You Are All
- Judah – Misdirection
- Above & Beyond & Justine Suissa – Cold Feet (Above & Beyond Club Mix)
- Sunny Lax – Moonlight
- Genix – Boom Box
- Andrew Bayer – Magitek
- Maor Levi – Disconnect
- Above & Beyond – Liquid Love (Above & Beyond’s Hong Kong Intro Mix)
- Above & Beyond and Spencer Brown feat. RBBTS – Long Way From Home
- Above & Beyond – Hideaway
- Fatum, Genix, Jaytech & Judah – All In
- Above & Beyond feat. Zoë Johnston – There’s Only You (Above & Beyond Club Mix)
- Oliver Smith – Curiosity
- Anjunabeats – Volume One (Sunny Lax Remix)
- Jason Ross feat. Emilie Brandt – IOU (Jason Ross Club Mix)
- Andrew Bayer – Eight To Sixteen
- ilan Bluestone feat. EL Waves – We Are The Universe
- Above & Beyond – Alone Tonight (Above & Beyond’s Gorge Update)
- Above & Beyond – Anjunafamily
- Above & Beyond feat. Zoë Johnston – Alchemy (i_o Remix)
- Above & Beyond – Prelude 2019
- Above & Beyond and Armin van Buuren – Show Me Love
- Genix – Open Your Eyes
- Above & Beyond – Distorted Truth (Volume 14 Outro Mix)