Outta-nowhere, last year’s surprise ‘Sunrise’ caught the scene at large with a classic ‘gotcha’. Cloaked throughout its production, “the greatest Trance series of them all” (MIXMAG) sprang back from the release wilderness. While it had received a new triple DJ/mix reshape, what hadn’t changed was its greatest characteristic: In Search Of Sunrise (ISOS)’s inimitable musical identity.
Born more of instinct, sense & feel, as opposed to anything as palpable as style, tempo or arrangement, ISOS has always required a very specific type of handler. A DJ either natively has ‘the right stuff’, or never will. Even then its mixers still have to click themselves wholly & completely into that sunrise-searching state of mind.
In many ways ISOS’s musical ethos is paradox. Chilled yet with a unique energy, never too ‘up’, never too ‘down’, balance its absolute essential, its new format requires its DJs – each with their own identity – to work as one. No small ask, yet miraculously, this year as last, musical alchemy’s occurred.
All that being said, ISOS has changed one aspect for 2019. Its fifteenth musical quest has broken with its well-established release tradition, picking up an autumn spot. Notably along with its November 08 release, it’s also adopted a different aesthetic. Cooler, yet more refined musically? You decide. But in terms of ways to wrap up your 2019, you could hardly ask for more.
Returning after last year triumphant showing, Markus Schulz again assumes responsibility for its opening mix. Taking over the middle disc spot is Jerome Isma-Ae, while Finland’s Orkidea brings his ice-cool nous to the third. As ever, the release holds a spyglass to the mixers’ own release horizons. Alongside is music from a galaxy of ISOS-clued producers – Ferry Corsten, Bicep, Paul Oakenfold, Solarstone, BT, Giuseppe Ottaviani, Jam & Spoon, Yotto and Henry Saiz among them.
Pre-order/bookmark here: https://isos.complete.me/isos15
Established master of the thrall-like open-till-close session, Markus Schulz is able to access his deeper nature at will. With his ISOS-head on, his disc brings an expertly mixed cross-section of his own recently finished music, collabs and on-approach Coldharbour material. You’ll also find the finest of autumn’s desk-fresh audio and couple of 2019’s most quickly established anthems for extra measure. From his own locker are the just-completed scene-setter ‘Bells of Planaxis’, as well as ‘Sunrise Over The Bay’ and his first Talla 2XLC teaming, ‘Mainhattan’. There are also In Search Of Sunrise themed remakes of recent smash ‘Ave Maria’, the timeless Paul Oakenfold/Carla Werner classic ‘Southern Sun’ and others.
Jerome Isma-Ae’s ‘Search’ likewise commences at his own front door. New production ‘Kubrick’ is brought swiftly into play, with the digital version also including bonus newies ‘Drifting’ and ‘Underwater Love’. Jerome finds space further in for a wealth of J.I.A. remixes. His work on 8Kays/Diana Miro-pairing ‘Inside’, Rue & Alastor’s ‘Untethered’ & ‘Stardust’ by Michael & Levan & Stiven Rivic, as well as classics like Jam & Spoon’s ‘Follow Me’ & Orkidea’s ‘Nana’ all find their place. In and around are Wally Lopez’s stylishly chilled revision of Betoko & Alex Kaspersky’s ‘Pluttonya’ and DAVI’s mesmerizing ‘Two Suns In The Sky’.
Coming under the steady gaze of Orkidea, ‘ISOS 15’ commences its final act with the ambient rework of Barry Jamieson’s ‘Stars’. From its very first bar, the Finlander dials into both ISOS’s ethics and autumnal aspects. Henry Saiz’s ‘I Can Feel It Coming’ and ‘Odd One Out’ from Yotto fall perfectly into step behind, as do Orkidea’s own ‘Metta’ & ‘One Man’s Dream’. Gundamea’s fresh take on Solarstone’s ‘Solarcoaster’, Oakenfold’s year-starting ‘Stonehenge’, BT & Matt Fax’s ‘The Noetic’ and others aren’t far behind. Tying the mix off Orkidea draws on the likes of Sweden’s Ticon, with their coolly grooving ‘1987’ and Bicep’s celebrated breaks-fest, ‘Glue’.
EXTRA EXTRA: To celebrate the release of ‘In Search Of Sunrise 15’, Jerome Isma-Ae will be taking ISOS on the road. You can catch him preaching the gospel according to at London’s Union on Nov 9 and at a week later on the 16th at Akvárium, Budapest.
Author: Tim Stark
In Search of Sunrise 15 tracklist:
Mix 1 – Markus Schulz
01. Markus Schulz – Bells of Planaxis
02. Peppemansion & Angelo Di Franco – Mariposa
03. Andretta – North Star
04. Kamilo Sanclemente & Dabeat – Spiral Patterns (Andre Sobota Remix)
05. Lange – Angel Falls (Mike EFEX Remix)
06. Dave Neven presents Ocata – Sirens in the Sky
07. Anske – Space Howl
08. Daniel Wanrooy – Back for More (Markus Schulz In Search Of Sunrise Rework)
09. Ferry Corsten presents Gouryella – Surga
10. Paul Oakenfold featuring Carla Werner – Southern Sun (Markus Schulz In Search Of Sunrise Remix)
11. DIM3NSION – Gaman
12. Markus Schulz – Sunrise Over the Bay
13. Giuseppe Ottaviani – Time Shift
14. Arkham Knights – Renegade
15. Ronski Speed & DJ T.H. presents Sun Decade featuring Ben Lost – Downfall
16. Markus Schulz & Talla 2XLC – Mainhattan
17. Daxson – Sonder
18. Markus Schulz & HALIENE – Ave Maria (In Search of Sunrise Outro Mix)
Mix 2 – Jerome Isma-Ae
01. Kiasmos – Looped
02. Armen Miran & Hraach – NowHere
03. Giovanna – Dreamworld (Tom Demac Remix)
04. Klunsh – Manoir
05. Jerome Isma-Ae & Alastor – Kubrick
06. Betoko & Alex Kaspersky – Pluttonya (Wally Lopez Remix)
07. George Absent – Who U R (Bonaca Remix)
08. Tarasy Melanzu – Vidi
09. 8Kays featuring Diana Miro – Inside (Jerome Isma-Ae Remix)
10. Rue & Alastor – Untethered (Jerome Isma-Ae Remix)
11. DAVI – Two Suns In The Sky
12. Michael & Levan and Stiven Rivic – Stardust (Jerome Isma-Ae Remix)
13. Jam & Spoon – Follow Me (Jerome Isma-Ae Remix)
14. Orkidea – Nana (Jerome Isma-Ae In Search Of Sunrise Remix)
Digital Mix Only Bonus Tracks
15. Jerome Isma-Ae – Drifting
16. Jerome Isma-Ae – Underwater Love
Mix 3 – Orkidea
01. Barry Jamieson – Stars (Ambient Mix)
02. Henry Saiz – I Can Feel It Coming
03. Yotto – Odd One Out
04. Trilucid – Lumina
05. Mr.A – My Religion
06. Fonzerelli – In My Dream
07. Orkidea – Metta
08. Solarstone – Solarcoaster (Gundamea Remix)
09. Paul Oakenfold – Stonehenge (Club Mix)
10. Andre Sobota – People
11. BT & Matt Fax – The Noetic
12. Orkidea – One Man’s Dream
13. JES – Two Souls (Andy Moor Remix)
14. Ticon – 1987
15. Bicep – Glue
Follow Black Hole Recordings: