EU DJ’s Will Need Tier 5 Visas To Play In The UK Beginning 2021

Once the Brexit transition concludes in December 2020, the Home Office has stated that all EU artists and entertainers will need visas to perform in the United Kingdom, including athletes.

At the moment, artists and their support crews can travel freely from the EU to the UK and vice versa without applying for work permits or visas. But once freedom of movement ends, both EU and non-EU artists will need a Tier 5 visa to perform in the UK.

This includes any activity associated with their brands, such as promotional appearances and cultural events.

Music industry groups in the UK had called for a two-year working visa to allow artists to travel freely around the EU and the UK for work, but this announcement shatters that notion.

Culture Minister Nigel Adams said last month “it was absolutely essential” to protect free movement for artists.

Deborah Annetts, chief executive of the Incorporated Society of Musicians, said they are “deeply disappointed” that free movement for musicians and other artists from the EU has been ruled out.

“We would ask the UK government to reconsider our call for a two-year, multi-entry visa,” she said. “Any future immigration system does not exist in isolation and has huge implications for the negotiation of EU and US trade deals and reciprocal arrangements. It is vital that any immigration system supports musicians who will need to tour in the EU post-Brexit.”

In 2018, The House of Lords’ EU home affairs sub-committee warned that unless adequate reciprocal arrangements can be agreed between the UK and EU, the UK may see a decline in skilled cultural sector workers entering the country from the EU.

It added that “such a development would be to the detriment of the UK cultural sector, and represent a significant loss to the audiences that enjoy seeing talent from across Europe performing in the UK.”

Note: A Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Government Authorized Exchange) visa For workers coming to the UK through an approved government authorized exchange scheme. This visa allows the worker to do work experience, training, academic research, or a fellowship, and to take part in an Overseas Government Language Program.

At current, you can apply for a Tier 5 Visa up to three months before your scheduled visit.

The cost of a Tier 5 visa is approximately $325 and takes three weeks to obtain.

H/T Politico EU

Erik Lake

All this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted.

We invite your comments in the section below.